Eligibility for becoming a chapter or affiliate of the Progressive Communicators Network:
- There is strong overlap between PCN and organizational mission, particularly strengthening grassroots organizing and commitment to diversity;
- Have a designated point person for your chapter who will: 1.) communicate with the national Progressive Communicators Network office at least four times a year via telephone calls and one written report; and 2.) be expected to attend national gatherings while serving as the point person.
- Each region or affiliate will have a steering committee (or equivalent) after a year’s time and that this committee would reflect the diversity of the region. A representative from the regional / affiliate participates in calls with other PCN regional / affiliate coordinators
- As appropriate to how the group is structured, allow PCN national 1 – 2 times a year to do associate membership and donor outreach to your list.
The process for an individual or small group of communicators just starting to get together may flow something like this (not necessarily in a linear way):
- See if a network or group already exists in your region.
- Call the national office of Progressive Communicators Network. They will talk with you about the possibility and process of connecting communicators regionally and/or connect you with communicators who have already created a network in their region so you can decide if this is what you want to do.
- Start programming. (See the sections in the Network’s Technical Assistance and Information Packet on Organizing Regionally on starting urban and rural networks.)
- Start the affiliation process by completing a set of questions that will be reviewed by the Network’s Leadership Council to make sure there is a match between the Network and your group. (See attached Chapter or Affiliate Packet.)
- Sign a Memorandum of Collaboration.
- Tell participants about the benefits of the Network and how they can start accessing it.
Progressive Communicators Network also welcomes the affiliation of existing groups. Please contact the national office to discuss if there is a match between organizations and begin the exploration process.